Kapil Dev was born on 6 January 1959 means today he is celebrating his 59th birthday. He was considered nest all-rounder all the time who had the capability to win the match on own by bowling as well as batting. He was a pace bowler who renowned for graceful action and potent out swinging and he was the leading bowler of the Indian team, without his presence bowling end looks partial and incomplete.
Some lesser known facts about the Kapil Dev:
- Kapil Dev was never run out in his Test career. In 184 Test innings, Kapil was not run out even once.
- Ability to rotate the strike. In ODIs Kapil faced 3979 balls to score 3783 runs for that strike rate of 95.1- 291 balls for fours and 67 for sixes. If you remove these 358 deliveries he dispatched for fours and sixes, you will find he scored the remaining 2217 runs of 3621 balls. In other words, he ticked along at a strike rate of 61.2 even of those balls which had not gone for a four or a six.
- Kapil Dev never missed a Test because of injury or fitness reasons in a career that spanned 131 tests spread over 16 years.
- Kapil Dev was the youngest Test player to achieve the all-round double of 100 wickets and 1,000 runs.
- Kapil Dev is the youngest bowler to take 300 Test wickets.
- He was voted by NDTV as one of India`s top 25 living legends in 2013. Speaking on this auspicious occasion he stated: “If you can’t dream, you can’t accomplish anything.”
- Captained India to World Cup victory in 1983
- Broke Richard Hadlee’s record of 431 wickets in Test cricket
- Scored first ODI century by an Indian
- Only cricketer to score 4,000 Test runs and take 400 wickets
- Named Indian Cricketer of the Century by Wisden
The Match that Made Every Indian Proud:
In 1983 no-one is expecting more from India due to very poor performance in last two edition of the world cup. In this edition, India is doing quite well by starting the tournament with a win against West-Indies.
India was playing the world cup last league match against Zimbabwe that’s was a very important match to bolster the confidence of team player or one of the best match of Kapil Dev.
Start of India was very poor and top five players couldn’t reach up to double-digit score even two of them couldn’t open the account. Kapil Dev came on the no. 6 and start his inning sapiently and end of the match his score was 175 not out with the fabulous strike rate of 126.81 and 16 fours and 6 Hi-Fi sixes. This is the one of the best and important match winning inning of Kapil Dev. By his onehanded effort team reach up to the defendable score of 266. In the end, India won the match by 31 runs and Kapil Dev was the hero of win.